Friday, June 18, 2010

San Antonio

Last September I went to San Antonio, Texas for a marketing conference. I was really excited to go because I've always wanted to visit Texas. It was such a neat place. The people were extremely friendly and the food was fantastic!


You can't visit San Antonio without going to the Alamo. Luckily it was only a few blocks from my hotel, so I was able to walk there. It was much smaller than I had imagined it would be.


There were markers on the grounds that were so beautiful.






Hey, I think I know that girl!


My Alamo tour guide Tina walked us through all the ways to use corn.


I couldn't get over all the exotic plants around the Alamo. There were lush gardens everywhere and full of cacti of all sizes. I enjoyed the gardens more than anything because I had never seen most of those kinds of plants before.











This was the view from my hotel room on the 23rd floor. If you look carefully between the two highrise hotels, you can see the top of the Alamo.


More than anything, I wanted to ride on the River Walk through downtown San Antonio. Luckily the River Walk ran right next to my hotel. Again, it was much smaller than I thought it would be, but beautiful all the same and lined with great restaurants and shops.




This is my hotel as viewed from the River Walk and a handmade mural next to it that was a gift from Mexico. The mural is a visual history of Mexico and was handcrafted from stones found in the region. This picture doesn't do it justice but I can tell you that it was very impressive. The craftsmanship and vivid colors were remarkable!


The river was full of ducks which I really enjoyed watching. I had dinner every night at a different restaurant on the River Walk. If you are ever in San Antonio, I highly recommend dining at Boudros' on the River Walk. The food there was by far the best I've ever eaten. Also try out their Prickly Pear Cactus Margarita. YUM!


The bridges over the River Walk have been featured in many films and were all very unique. Many of them featured carved stars which represent the Lone Star State.
















This old mission on the river was the featured in the film "Miss Congeniality". The bells have some historical value, although I can't recall exactly what that was.




Many of the buildings along the river have great historical signifigance as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment